We Recommend Dental Sealants. Here’s Why…
As your dentist in Mississauga, we always have your, and your family’s, best interest in mind. It’s our job to help you keep healthy – in body and smile – and all of us at our practice take this very seriously. With a preventive view in everything we do, our goal is to intercept oral health issues before they happen … to keep you smiling.
One of the most-simple things you can do for your oral health – besides keeping an excellent home care routine of brushing at least twice a day and flossing once a day – is to consider dental sealants.
What are dental sealants? They are a thin plastic coating that is applied to the chewing surfaces of teeth (usually the molars and premolars) to protect them from decay-causing bacteria. Because it’s applied in liquid form, sealants seep into the deep pits and fissures on the tooth surface, creating a protective shield over the enamel. The sealant is applied like paint and is completely comfortable.
Dental sealants are ideal for:
Children who are unable to brush their teeth effectively
Anyone who keeps a less-than-ideal homecare routine
Patients who have mobility challenges
Those suffering from dementia and whose oral hygiene is irregular
People with naturally deep pits and fissures in their molars.
Benefits of dental sealants include:
- Cavity Prevention. While we can brush tricky areas where bacteria like to hide, toothbrush bristles can’t always reach to the bottom of a groove in a tooth to clean it. By sealing these grooves off after a professional cleaning, it eliminates the crevasses and teeth cleaning becomes much easier.
- Easy application. Having a dental sealant placed on one or more teeth is a simple, non-invasive treatment. The tooth is simply prepared, and the sealant material is brushed on. It’s then cured with a safe ultraviolet light.
- Fast application. As your dentist in Mississauga, I can assure you that the time it takes to get dental sealants placed is quick – about only five minutes per tooth. They can be placed during your routine hygiene appointment, or at a short sealant-only appointment.
- Less costly than fillings. Most insurance companies will cover dental sealants until your child has reached the age of 18, and sometimes for adults. That’s because the cost of sealants far outweighs the cost of restorations and treatment due to tooth decay … fillings, crowns, root canals, or even extractions. We can help you determine your coverage.
- Dental sealants match natural tooth color, so they blend in. Laugh out loud because you can feel confident that no will even know they’re there!
- Your regular homecare routine is all you need to care for your dental sealants. Avoid crunching hard foods like candy to help them last up to 10 years. We’ll check them regularly for chips or wear and will recommend replacement as necessary.
- Effective. It’s been proven that sealants may reduce the risk of decay by nearly 80% in molars. And the Centers For Disease Control says that “school-age children without sealants have almost three times more cavities than children with sealants.”
Prevention saves time and money … and smiles! Please ask us about dental sealants and how they can help your family members of all ages. At our practice, we’re here to help. Contact us today – new patients welcome!